Legal Malpractice Insurance
Since we issued our first policy in the mid 1970’s, Paragon Underwriters has been committed to providing legal professionals with high quality products and services. We know the industry. We understand the everyday risks lawyers face. We offer a broad range of innovative insurance products and services. And we’re here for you when you need us.
CNA is the Largest Provider of Lawyers Professional Liability Insurance in the United States.
For Firms of 1 to 34
As the exclusive State Administrator for CNA’s Lawyers Professional Liability Program for firms of 1 to 34 attorneys, Paragon Underwriters can put together a program for almost any firm. With a wide variety of coverage terms available from which to choose, we can customize a program to meet your specific needs!
For Firms of 35+
We work with numerous insurance carriers, including but not limited to: Chubb, CNA, Westport/ Swiss Re, Chartis, Navigators, St. Paul/ Travelers, One Beacon, Lloyd’s of London, ProNational, The Hartford, XL Capital, Zurich North America, Fireman’s Fund (Interstate) and many others to assemble a customized program to meet your law firm’s specific needs.
We also offer professional liability programs for distressed law firms that are having trouble securing their appropriate coverage due to claims, area of practice or other types of underwriting issues.
MICHIGAN FIRMS ONLY
Lawyers Professional Liability Insurance from CNA – for Michigan Firms Only
- Limits of Liability range from a minimum of $100,000 per claim/ $300,000 aggregate up to a maximum of $10M/$10M. Claims expense outside limits coverage is available, subject to underwriting.
- Deductibles range from $1000 to $100,000 on either aggregate or per claim basis. Optional first dollar defense coverage is available, subject to underwriting.
- Broad definition of Legal Services includes Arbitrator, Mediator, Title Agent, Notary Public, and customary Fiduciary Capacities such as Administrator, Conservator, Executor, Trustee together with investment advice given in connection with fiduciary activities.
- Broad definition of Insured includes the Firm, Predecessor Firm, Lawyers within the Firm (Partners, Associates, Directors, Officers, Employees). Also covers Of Counsel and/or Independent Contractors for work performed on behalf of the Firm.
- Supplementary payments up to $500 per day for loss of earnings while in attendance at a trial for a covered claim against the Insured. Maximum limit is $10,000 despite the number of Insureds.
- Supplementary payments up to $10,000 for any Insured and in the aggregate for attorney fees and other reasonable costs, expenses or fees resulting from a Disciplinary Proceeding received by the Insured and reported to the Company during the policy period involving covered legal services. Maximum limit is $10,000 despite the number of Insureds. In the event of a determination of No Liability, the limit is increased to $100,000.
- 50% reduction of the deductible, up to a maximum of $25,000, if mediation of a claim takes place either without institution of arbitration proceeding or service of suit or within 60 days of the institution of such proceedings or service of suit, and the claim is resolved by the process of mediation.
- Assistance in responding to a subpoena arising out of legal services rendered by an Insured including production of documents and preparation of sworn testimony provided the subpoena arises out of a lawsuit to which the Insured is not a party.
- Coverage is provided for claims arising out of legal services by an Insured rendered to another Insured as a client.
- Optional Extended Reporting Period is now available for a two-year period in addition to the one-year, three-year, six year or unlimited options.
- Non-Practicing Extended Reporting Period for retiring or non-practicing lawyers who have been continuously insured with Paragon Underwriters for at least three consecutive years at no extra charge.
- Death or Disability Extended Reporting Period at no extra charge.
- Full Prior Acts Coverage available.
- Policy requires Insured’s consent in order to settle claims.
- Policy does not contain a “hammer clause.”
New, Broader Coverage Now Included at No Additional Charge!
- Privacy Injury and Identity Theft
- Client Network Damage
- Supplementary Benefits for Regulatory Inquiries
- Largest writer of Lawyers Professional Liability in the U.S.
- More than 45 years of experience insuring attorneys in the private practice of law
- More than 150,000 attorneys insured with the Program
- Bar association endorsed in multiple states and counties
- Largest writer of federal and state judges professional liability in the U.S.
- Largest writer of legal aid and public defender attorneys in the U.S.
- Rated “A” (Excellent) by A.M. Best
- Providing Risk Management Seminars (CLE approved) with premium discounts for more than 15 years
- Risk Management Hotline available to insureds at no additional charge
- Underwriting, Claims and Risk Management headed by former private practitioners
- Claims Counsel and Claims Professionals with extensive lawyers professional liability experience
- Panel Defense Counsel composed of state and regional law firms with extensive experience and commitment to the profession
- 24/7 connectivity to CNA and its exclusive State Administrators via lawyersinsurance.com
- Employed Lawyers Program (10+ years) providing coverage to lawyers employed by corporations
We are pleased to be the exclusive agency in Michigan representing the CNA Lawyers Professional Liability Insurance program.